Friday, July 15, 2011

Sharing Our Values in a Christ-Like Way

Very often people are turned off by social conservatives not because of what they believe as much as how we present them. Honestly, they often have a point. This is why it is important to be careful not only about what we believe, but how we present it. A recent e-mail from Bob Vander Plaats and the Iowa Family Leader reinforces that point. In it he shares an e-mail their organization received from a homosexual African-American gentleman. A portion of that e-mail read...
"I do not take the same stand you do on gay marriage, but I spoke to a wonderful man today on your line. He was such an attentive listener and I listened when he spoke also. I want to thank him for being such a loving person and did not judge me, but does believe in his stand. He told me your entire organization is that way and, well, I believe him. Maybe I'm a pushover, but he reminded me of what Christ is like. He wasn't only Christian, but he was CHRIST-LIKE. That's what touched my heart. I hope the VERY BEST for him and I wish him all the love that he can handle. What a wonderful person. Please thank him for me (I'm sure he knows who he is). VERY SINCERELY..."
Do we present our views so that those who disagree with us can say that of us as well, or do we rudely shove our views down other people's throats? It doesn't matter how true your message is if you are presenting it in a way that is turning others away.

No comments: